Search the Low County Plantations' Database

Find by...

plantation name

 
 
Abbeville County
 
Aiken County
 
Allendale County
 
Anderson County
 
Bamberg County
 
Barnwell County
 
Beaufort County
 
Berkeley County
 
Calhoun County
 
Charleston County
 
Cherokee County
 
Chester County
 
Chesterfield County
 
Clarendon County
 
Colleton County
 
Darlington County
 
Dillon County
 
Dorchester County
 
Edgefield County
 
Fairfield County
 
Florence County
 
Georgetown County
 
Greenville County
 
Greenwood County
 
Hampton County
 
Horry County
 
Jasper County
 
Kershaw County
 
Lancaster County
 
Laurens County
 
Lee County
 
Lexington County
 
Marion County
 
Marlboro County
 
McCormick County
 
Newberry County
 
Oconee County
 
Orangeburg County
 
Pickens County
 
Richland County
 
Saluda County
 
Spartanburg County
 
Sumter County
 
Union County
 
Williamsburg County
 
York County


Plantation: Davant of Jasper County, SC
   
Location US 278 at SC 462
Near Gillisonville, St Luke's Parish, Jasper County, SC
Plantation Details
  Other Names: The Oaks

  Timeline: 1770 - Earliest known date of existence John Hobard received a grant for 100 acres for services rendered to King George III. 1811 - Sold to Stephen McDonald 1813 - Sold to Williams Watters 1815 - Sold to John Cheney, who christened the property The Oaks 1828 - Cheney's daughter Evelina married lawyer Richard James Davant. Upon his father-in-law's death, Davant purchased the estate and changed its name to Davant Plantation. Biographical sketch of Davant - scroll down 1865 - Original Greek Revival home burned by Sherman's troops Davant dismantled a much simpler house located on a nearby plantation, which he also owned, and transferred it piece-by-piece to the site of his former home (Clark). 1939 - Sold to Edwin M. Berolzheimer House renovated by Berolzheimer 1991 - Sold to Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Rutledge Moore 1995 - Primary filming location for the movie Something to Talk About

  Currently: Special thanks to Rutledge Moore for his contributions to this page. Rutledge and his wife Frida have owned Davant since 1991. Owned by Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Rutledge Moore, who reside on the plantation year-round and operate it as a hunting preserve (2006).
  Buildings: The Davant family burial ground is located on the property. One stone slab bears a verse and the inscription "Sarah Isabella, Eldest Child of Richard J. and Evelina J. Davant." Another slab bears a verse and the inscription "To the Memory of Mrs. Martha E. Craft, Eldest Daughter of John and Sarah R. Cheney." The dates of the two deaths are 1828 and 1829. Barns, kitchen smokehouse, stables, laundry house, three hunting cottages

  Number of acres: 2,100 acres (2006)

  Owners: Mary Berol, Edwin M. Berolzheimer, John Cheney, Richard James Davant, John Hobard, Stephen McDonald, Mr. and Mrs. B. H. Rutledge Moore, William Watters

Additional Information
References
 
1.
30-15 Plantation File, South Carolina Historical Society
2.
Neuffer, Claude Henry, ed. "Names in South Carolina." Volume I through 30, 1943-1983, Columbia, SC: Published by the Department of English, University of South Carolina. Printed by The State Printing Company, Columbia, SC.
3.
Iseley, N. Jane. Lowcountry Plantations Today. Greensboro, N.C. : Legacy Publications, c2002.